Sunday, October 3, 2010

7 Veggie Couscous

I used what I had in the 'fridge, including a beautiful acorn squash.

3 cloves garlic
2 green onions
Poblano pepper (55 g)
Eggplant (115 g)
1 C Stock (I used vegetable, but you can use chicken if you prefer)
.5 C yellow raisins
Squash (415 g; I used acorn)
Zucchini (165 g)
.5 tsp ginger (powdered)
.5 tsp chipotle
dash of Jamaican curry
Tomato (265 g)
Water added throughout as needed
.66 C couscous


1. Begin by using oil or non-stick cooking spray (I used my Grandma's old cast iron skillet) and saute the garlic and onions until browned
2. Add the peppers, eggplant, raisins, squash, zucchini & tomato; add spices and stir

3. To avoid sticking, add .5 C stock; add .5 C water
4. Continue to cook, uncovered
5. Add remaining .5 C stock and couscous; add water as needed until veggies are cooked and couscous is completely expanded; keep covered

Yield: 5 servings

Nutritional information (1 serving = about 6 oz)
200 calories
1 g fat
178 mg Na
718 mg K
48 g carbohydrates
    3 g fiber
    7 g sugar
6 g protein


I enjoyed this with a glass of Shiraz-Grenache.

No comments:

Post a Comment